Friday, February 3, 2017

Remember when all we had to worry about was the Super Bowl and airport protesters?

Seriously?

Anyway, still working on the assumption that all will be fine in the long run.  Today, I went and bought a few snacks for our flights.  Cheap tickets and crappy airlines means we don't get fed once over our 20 hours travelling time.  I bought some sausage rolls, pepperoni sticks and some cookies/candy.  Val has some granola bars etc as well so we probably won't die of starvation 😏.

my home ec project - D + grade
This morning I cut the cuffs off of some old socks and sewed them onto the bottom of my pajamas pants.  I will be super hot but I am hoping it helps keep the mosquitoes off at least the bottom half of me while I am sleeping.

Now I need to stop messing around and get to the final pack before 6:45 when I have to online check in for our flight which is totally going to leave Vancouver without a hitch.

Here is how things looks right now (3:14pm Feb 3)



Ok, many hours later.  I am packed and that went well.  But before I packed I had another sewing project.  I cut up an old jacket that had two zip up pockets and I stitched those pockets so they are hidden into the two pairs of pants I am taking.






Then I packed.  

First, everything into its proper cube

Then smaller cubes into bigger cubes

Then cubes into the backpack

Zip it up to make sure it all fits.  It does!

Then divide everything into my 'carry on bag'
and  my 'personal bag' so it fits the
dimension limits.  Voila!






























That was done by 6:45.  I have been trying and only partially succeeding in checking in online since then.  First I tried to check in with Air Canada.  Nope.  Over and over.  Nope and nope.  Then I tried to call Air Canada.  Nope.  Then I tried to call Flight Centre.  Nope.  So, I put on my shoes and drove to the Flight Centre at the mall again.  Sarah was there again.  She couldn't get into the check in either until all of a sudden she could.  But then I didn't have Val's passport which apparently you need to check in.  Val wasn't answering her phone.  So, I checked in and went home.  Called Val who was back from the laundry room. Checked her in and all seemed well.

Except it was less than well.  When I checked in and then when I checked Val in, our seats got moved even though we had assigned seats.  Moved from our original seats and not together.  Checked back in and it says I can change seats.  Eventuallllllly, it let me change the San Franscisco to Houston seats but not the Houston to San Jose.  I am pretty much hating the whole online check in process right now so it and I are taking a break for a bit while I eat dinner (@9pm).  I will try again later or we can change it at the airport if there are any seats still available.

Sarah did confirm that YVR is a total mess of cancelled and delayed flights.  Let's hope that gets cleared up by tomorrow.  I spoke to the BC Connector people (the bus from the ferry to the airport) and they said they didn't have any trouble today.  Let's hope that is true and stays true.  It was pretty slushy when I drove to the mall but it was already starting to melt by the time I headed home and that was only 30 or so minutes later.

Ok, I am off to do a few last minute things, change the kitty litter, take out the garbage, sleep.  Hopefully the next time I write will be from Costa Rica (barring any delays in airports, cross your fingers).

No comments:

Post a Comment